Sunday, December 14, 2008

Putting things into perspective

I went out for coffee this morning with some of the moms in Charlie's group with Charlie and Lulu in tow. Interesting coffee shop, allows dogs inside. Anyway, when I got home I noticed that the outfit I wore out was really cute so I took a picture and when reviewing it, realized something I realized when I was getting dressed this morning and that being I have lost a LOT of weight. I noticed this as I put my boots on because last time I wore these boots was last winter and they were snug as a bug in a rug against my bloated 4 month pregnant calves. Anyway, for my first prenatal I was 167 lbs and when I delivered Charlie I was 200 lbs. Those are numbers I like to ignore seeing as that puts me in the obese category. Well, 7 months later, I have lost 48 lbs. OK, it fluxuates throughout the day from 46 - 48 lbs, but you get my point. Granted I gained 33 lbs while pregnant, I've come a long way since. But it didn't happen over night. The pregnancy weight did actually. I was back to my pre-pregnancy weight by 6 weeks postpartum thanks to breastfeeding, walking, and proper eating, but that was 33 lbs. It took me another 4 months to lose an additional 15. I guess my point is that there are all these things for diet pills and quick diet fads and I just don't believe any of that stuff. I mean, if it took me so many years to gain this much weight, it'll probably take just as long to take it off. I don't believe in those fad diets. I do believe a fasting detox a year is a good thing though and will be doing one once Charlie is weaned, as my body feels like it has a nice amount of toxins in it that need to be flushed out, but I don't think it should be used as a means of dieting as some people try to do with these miracle diets and what not. Anyway, I'm still classified in the overweight category but for the first time in a very long time, I am happy with my physical appearance. And that's a good thing.

No comments: