Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Tale of Jesse’s Christmas Presents

Jesse is by far one of the easiest people to shop for. Every little thing he says throughout the year I take in and then when it is time for his birthday or Christmas or just cos, I know what to get him. This year, one of the items was very simple. Just order it online and early enough to insure it comes in on time. Another was a whole other mess though...

A few weeks ago, I saw the 30 carbine reloading die at Sportsman's. I couldn't buy it then because I didn't have the money for it at the time. So I waited. And of course when I went to go buy it, it was no longer there. So I had to try some other places. Certainly I thought Cabela's would have it as they have a pretty good selection of items. I went to the aisle and browsed and thought, "Maybe I'm having a blind moment and can't find what I'm looking for." So I go up to a sales clerk and ask them if they had a 30 carbine die and the one guy kinda had a glazed over look and asked someone else about it. The guy looked at me and asked for more information from me. I'm sorry, but I was pretty damned informative. I gave a lot of information on the item. Very specific information. The maker. The price. What the packaging looks like. Alas, the man walks off and goes to his computer to do a stock check. He comes back like 20 minutes later as I browse around bored wondering what the hell is so hard about finding a standard item but then I find him and he's helping someone else! Did he forget about my item!? I asked him what the status was and he simply responds that they have a .308 die and I tell him very matter of factly that I do not want a .308 die as that is the wrong thing and not even close to what I need and that if I wasn't aware of this that I could easily spend a considerable amount of money on something that's not even right. I don't want to be an asshole customer cos Jesse always tells me about horrors of retail customers being assholes but I thought I was more being helpful to prevent this old man from making a future mistake and selling something wrong to someone who could be an asshole. I mean, if this was a wrong item, fine I could return it. But what if it weren't returnable? What then? I'd be stuck with something neither of us could use. I politely explained the dynamics of this to the salesman who seemed like he could give a shit as his job was simply a paycheck and that it was too early in the morning for him to deal with this. I was pretty annoyed I couldn't find that item either cos I had a good coupon for it that would get me $10 off.

SO the hunt continues. I called a bunch of stores. I'd say 80% of the people I spoke to either had no clue what I was talking about and had to ask someone else, one store I was on hold for 10 minutes and asked by 3 other people, including the original person I asked if I had been helped! I decided based on that, that I would never go to that store ever. Finally after browsing the phone book and spending about 30 minutes on the phone asking several stores, I find a place in Carson City that has what I need. The catch is that the item is used. The salesman claims the item appears to be good as new and in it's used price it is 75% cheaper than what I would have paid for it new. I go down just out of curiosity sake to check it out. Turns out it actually looks like it is in very good condition. Weird, right? The packaging looks pretty old but the product looks very nice. So I know, I feel ghetto for getting Jesse one used item for Christmas but I'm pretty picky about things and if I like it, I'm sure he'll be ok with it. Besides, it's not like he hasn't ever bought a used item before. Plus I saved a good deal of money on it in this case and found a neat little store in the process.

On that note, on the trip to this store, I found a place called the Chocolate Nugget which is a candy factory. I believe one day we need to go there. Plus to the shop I went to. I saw a slew of nifty things in that store but it was just a matter of money and not having more than what I allowed myself to spend issue. So spring. If we're still out here we shall go there!

As for the other Christmas presents, well, like I said, Jesse is a super easy person to shop for. I did get an idea for one more thing and I may get him that. It's nothing pricey, just an afterthought...

No comments: