Saturday, January 3, 2009

Random

Yesterday I was doing laundry. For whatever unknown reason all three ladies that work at the laundromat seem to know me and always talk to me whenever I'm there. Maybe it's cos I'm the only person who speaks English there and they can communicate with someone, I dunno. Anyway a trip to the lavandaria for me for the most part consists of bogarting as many of the $2.25 machines as possible to keep laundry costs down. Otherwise I gotta use the $3.00 machines if those aren't available and if you take into consideration that extra $0.50 times 4 loads that's $2.00 I save per trip times let's say I go 2 - 3 times a month that's almost up to $72 a year. So yeah, I make a serious effort to go when there's no one there. I've been finding Friday or Saturday evenings around 5 to be the key time. So yeah, a trip for me usually consists of throwing in my laundry, picking up a copy of the Reno News & Review and if there's a new issue, Clever! I gotta keep up on my local style and town gossip and know what's green in town, you know? Anyway, I really hate the advice columnist in the RN&R cos she's one of those uber feminazis who thinks that if you are a female, empowerment means not settling down, marrying your career and being selfish and I could go on and on about all the horrible advice I've read this woman give to women. OK there's some instances where she gives some valid advice, like some chick is in her early 20s with a guy old enough to be her dad who supports his adult childern her age and ex-wife and wants to marry the guy but is afraid of him not supporting her and well, that one was kinda obvious to avoid a train wreck. I mean, feminist or not, it doesn't take a lot of common sense to figure out that guy is obviously not marriage material. But then you got stuff like women talking about how they want to be married and happy and also want careers and don't know how to balance the two and she'll tell them to have their careers cos they'll have the rest of their lives to be princesses to be saved and that culture tells women they need to be that way, bla bla bla. Why not have a career and be married? I mean, are people that incapable of balancing something so simple as a relationship with a job? I mean seriously. I understand careers for some women mean a lot of travel, long hours in an office, and maybe even bringing home a bigger paycheck than her man, but should that affect your relationship? Really? Should it? Well I could see travel like if you're on the road a lot but what about situations where husbands are the ones with the career and are on the road a lot? Or what about women who's husbands are in the military and are constantly moving from base to base and who's husbands are off over seas for weeks, months, or years at a time? I think this advice columnist fails to realize that sometimes, part of life means sacrificing certain things to make ends meet and if you truly love your family you sometimes need to be away from them to help them out. Again, I could go on and on about this one but I won't as it could bore many and anger many more. Besides I think everyone knows my stance on women and their roles in society and I refuse to back down on the way I feel. All I can say is there were less divorces back in the day when people didn't sleep around, got married for better or for worse, and women stayed home and raised children and took care of the house and men took care of bringing home the bacon and taking care of mechanical and physical things around the home. And bbq'ing. Everyone knows bbq'ing is a man's art! Anyway I guess laundry for me is usually a Joyce-esque experience in which one thing leads to another leads to another. I've been thinking about Utah a lot and Charlie's birthday coming up. I'd like to save up some money to go to LA for his birthday so he can have one with his family and what not. We'll see what happens with that though. I can't make any promises. I do know if we do go we'll be flying this time and sadly Lulu will probably not go, unless by some reason we can afford to fly her out. We'll see though. It's not even an official idea either. It's just something I've been toying with.

On the boy, things have been pretty hard lately since he's started moving. He keeps trying to eat Lulu's food. I can't take my eyes off of him for a second. He also tries to stand now. That's a nightmare. He pulls himself up on things and I'm like "Yay! Big man!" and then he crashes down and I'm all freaking out. Then there's the crying. His cry is now a big man cry and loud as heck and just ear piercing and when he teeths he cries. When he has thrush he cries. When he's tired he cries. And he shounds like someone's beating him when he cries and it drives me nuts cos he's totally well taken care of so what the heck, kid!?

That's all I got for now.

No comments: