Thursday, March 5, 2009
Jesse and I were watching a show on the History Channel about the evolution of the rifle and the host of the show was showing the differences of the effect of bullets from a musket, a Mauser 98 and some other rifle that was a middle ground in the evolution of rifles between the two that neither of us can remember at the moment. Anyway, the guy shot into blocks of clay to show how the different bullets used over the course of time went from being less accurate and insignificant to accurate and deadly. But I was absolutely taken aback by the amazing formations that came from the test. They were simply too beautiful to leave just as a display of what guns were capable of doing. In a world where everyone views guns as a taboo device of death, they created a beautiful piece of work that gave life to an otherwise boring slab of clay. And in that, I became inspired to do my own series of gun tests with clay. So one cold day, Jesse and I tread out to the deserts while I was pregnant and we took with us a 5 lb. block of clay. I cut it up into slabs and we proceeded to shoot them. At the end of the day, we were left with test of a .22 from a Ruger Mk. III, a 9 mm from a Sig P226, a .45 from a Glock 36, and a .38 and .357 from a S&W 65-5 revolver. They then sat in our kitchen to air dry as it was an air drying clay since I had no access to a kiln.
Flash forward now about a year and a half. I had been talking to my friend Alissa about how I want to do art and she told me that I should force myself to do something just to get back in the habit and allow myself to suck. That it's ok to suck as long as you're doing something. It's better to do something and suck than to do nothing at all. Which I totally get. So I figure tonight is a good night to paint. Charlie was in bed. I finished washing dishes after our turkey dinner. I watched American Idol and crocheted Charlie's blanket for a bit and was bored. What now? Paint! So I painted the .357. Now I wanted to use spray paint on them and have a more airbrushed look but I didn't have the supplies or proper ventilation/space to do that, so I just used my oils. And I'm guessing it's not the proper media to use on this but I really don't care. I wanted to see what I could do. Originally, it was a solid black with red interior but I didn't like how flat the solid red was so I added some yellow, white, and black to it and it looked a LOT more interesting. I also managed to hurt my knee really bad scooting on the floor to get a better angle on the bottom of one of the sides and I whacked my knee cap in the corner of the coffee table to the point of knocking myself in my sitting position to the floor in total pain and immobilization. It sucked. But I recovered. And now one of my gun tests is painted and I'm 70% satisfied with the outcome. I'm not a huge fan of red/black. Anyway, here's some pics. Ignore my house in the background and the fact I had to shoot it on printer paper for lack of a better background.
Posted by DasBoogs at 2:07 AM