Saturday, March 7, 2009

Social Distortion is not an "Irish" band

I was at the mall two days ago and there's all these sales on St. Patrick's Day paraphanalia (sp?) and one thing I notice is in the window of Hot Topic a black t-shirt with the Social Distortion skeleton with martini logo on it and behind it a giant clover. It is inside a circle with some writing about Social Distortion and something pertaining to Irish pride. OK, wait, back up the bus a minute. At what point did Social D get lumped in with that whole Irish punk scene? In the store Flogging Molly and Dropkick Murphys had their own little section with other kelly green things to celebrate being Irish and St. Patrick's Day, understandably, because both are Irish/Irish descendants proud of their heritage and make that a big part of their music, but whoever designed that Social D shirt is out of their f'ing minds. When I think of them I think of cars, drinking, drug abuse/recovery, prison, women, fast paced lifestyle but Ireland and Irish heritage has never popped up. If anything, I'd say with Mike Ness's excessive love of American culture, he's far from that and that shirt never should have been made. Anyway, I guess I'm still pretty mad at that. Yeah, I said mad. I liked old Social D (kinda lost track of what they were doing after White Light, White Heat, White Trash) and I liked Dropkick (before they switched over to the new singer) and I just find it frustrating how two bands who had so much underground street credit are now so mainstream. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they went from nothing to successful but when shallow sales stunts like this happen, it just compromises the band's integrity.

No comments: