Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The stars were all aligned...

So remember that little blue rental home we saw that I fell in love with? I called to set up an appointment to view it this morning and found out someone put a deposit on it yesterday. I was heartbroken. Devastated, even. I decided to view the other rental home. I go and check it out and it's a total dive. Horrible, actually. I told the guy renting the home if the person who put the deposit flakes to call us immediately because I was in love with the house. Maybe it was the fact I had a son who was a few months younger than his daughter or the fact the other potential tenant was a flake, but he tells me that if I really want it, he'll work with us. The lady gave him a deposit, but he said it was a post-dated check and was only for $100 and the security deposit was $400. He was being nice to her to help her out and let her do the check, even though she wanted to move in this Friday. Long story short, after a phone call with Jesse at work and doing mental math in my head of our financial situation, it turns out we can totally pull this off without being completely broke. Obviously I'll ride off my unemployment as long as possible and put some money aside since our monthly expenses (with everything rounded up to the highest $10 including rent, cable, utilities, insurance, food, gas, misc.) will be about $1800 and between me and Jesse's current income, we have about $2300, so we're fine till my unemployment runs out, which, I believe I qualify for another extension with California, and if not, I still can collect through Nevada with an extension, so worst case scenario, this gets us to the end of the 6 month lease we'll be taking out. After that period, maybe we'll be financially in a good spot, or I'll go back to work in evenings or full time during the day if I can find a place that pays enough. Long story short, tomorrow we sign our lease and May 1 we move in. Charlie gets his own room for his birthday. Happy Birthday, Charlie. This is the best present Mommy and Daddy can give you: a home with a yard. Mommy will get you your Wheelie Bug to ride around on. I promise.

2 comments:

The Joo said...

That's wonderufl news, I'm glad it worked out. The guy was smart, you'll be much better tenants. Have we seen pictures of the place yet, I can't remember

Cyndie said...

Yay on the new place! Now you won't have bums dumpster diving just outside your window. =)