Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Clouds can be tricky bastards

This morning was cloudy but it said in the forecast there was no rain for today so I believed it. I decided to do the front passenger side. To start, I popped off the emblems, which, much to my dismay, were originally put on by a cynical son of a bitch who thought this car would never require a paint job again in it's life because they are virtually impossible to get at unless you remove the entire wheel well cover thing, unscrew something, and then pop them off. So my solution: break the damned things off and buy some new ones that stick on with adhesive on eBay. God bless eBay. The sad part was the 88 broke. But at least Delta is still in tact. I'll be ghetto and make a necklace for it or something. True story.



Today wasn't much different than yesterday. Oh, well other than the fact I was totally solo today and had to watch my son and take my friend to work. That's a whole thing in itself:

After I popped (read: broke) the emblems off and start the 60 grain sanding of the front passenger's side, I get a call from my friend Chrissy. She needs a ride to work because her car has crapped out on her again for the God knows how manyth time in the last month. Her car is relatively new and shouldn't be acting like that but what can I say, it's no '76 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale. Anyway, at that point, Charlie had been down for a nap for about an hour and I was looking forward to 2 more hours of work time but that became nothing more than a pipe dream. I woke the boy, put him in the car along with all my equipment because I was too lazy to put it up in the house again only to get it out again when I got back. I picked her up and took her to work, got some Jack in the Box Mini Buffalo Ranch burgers and shared them with Charlie for lunch and they are AWESOME; if you haven't had them yet, try them!

Anyway, after lunch Charlie is awake which means I will not accomplish much, if anything at all. I put him outside with me in his little exersaucer and let him play "tools" with Mommy.



From there, I was able to do some sanding and of course, after I started, Charlie started to fuss. So I sanded one handed with child in the other hand resting on my hip. Let it be said, if I wind up with back problems by the time I'm 30, that is why. I let Charlie help with the sanding and he was super excited that of all people, Mommy was the one to let him get his first hands-on experience with working on cars, even if it was just painting. Sorry, Jesse, I know that should be your turf, but you were at work.



Of course that lasted all of about 5 minutes because Charlie turns out, was sleepy. I put him in his stroller with a blanket and let him sleep outside where I could watch him and work on the car. It was a killer idea because he not only slept, but he slept long enough for me to prime the car...




While the primer was drying, I scraped off some of the molding adhesive on the back...



Then I was able to start painting...



And I was even able to finish painting the front passenger's side of the car!



With my luck, it never rained today, even though it looked very much like it would. Charlie didn't wake up till I finished and got all my supplies put up. It was a very successful day and I got what I considered to be a decent amount of work finished. Till next time...

No comments: