Monday, June 8, 2009

In the beginning, God created Krylon


A few weeks back, Jesse said he was going to get some spray paint to cover some spots on his Galaxie so it wouldn't rust. When he did that, I noticed my 1976 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale had a few rust areas and didn't want them to get worse. But at the same time, I didn't want my car to look like a cow so I contemplated the idea of painting it completely with spray paint. If I did do it, though, I didn't want it to look like a cheap crap job. So I did what any good American would do and I googled "how to spray paint a car" and came across this really great easy to understand response:

First repair anything that needs repaired and make sure everything is smooth and clean. Wet sand everything you are going to paint with 360 grit paper. Spray a couple coats of a sandable primer. Let that dry, wet sand that with 600 grit. Make sure everything's clean, spray a coat of primer-sealer. Spray your color, at least twice as many coats as you think you'll need, vary the direction pattern you spray between coats to avoid color banding and minimize color variation, you may need to practice this, this is the part most people have trouble with. Let the color dry for a day, wet sand it smooth with 600, 1500, and 2000 grit paper. It should be glossy now. Let it finish drying for the next week. After the week has passed apply twice as much clear coat as you thing you will need. Allow the clear to dry over night, then sand similar to the color. Then let the clear dry for at least a week, buff with a mild buffing compound and wax. Now admire your work, and make up some lie about how you paid a bodyshop $5000 for it.

Seemed easy enough, just time consuming. If there's one thing I am good at, that would be painting. After all, I majored in it!

Today was the beginning of what will be a very time consuming project that I hope to finish within the next two months. It started with the passenger doors and involved taking a putty scraper to scrape off the ghost of a shitty bondo job past and adhesive from some sort of molding that used to be on my car but is long gone. After that was removed, it was time to sand with 60 grain sand paper. I wanted to do 40 but they didn't have any at Walmart. So it was sand, then brush all the dust away and sand with 100 grain (again, I wanted 80 but Walmart is Communist and didn't have that either!) When that was done, Jesse took some bondo and did a nice job of fixing the dents and old crappy bondo jobs. While to bondo dried, I worked on masking off parts of the car we didn't want painted like handles, mirrors, along windows; stuff like that.



At this point we're just waiting for the bondo to dry so we can prime.

No comments: