Thursday, June 11, 2009

Keeping up with what's up

One of the things I remember from when I was in school was how much the faculty stressed to "keep up" with current trends and artists. But, without sounding like a tool, I just wasn't into that. To me, the idea of reading on what's hip in the art world or design world or any other world for that matter seems very much on the same level as reading People or something to find out what's hip with the celebs and what they're wearing. Call me an ass, but I just feel like if you're truly good at something, then you don't need to read about what everyone else is doing because they will be the ones following you. Even to this date, I don't keep up with researching what's hip because, again, not wanting to sound full of myself, I think that deep down there is something cutting edge about me that I have to offer and you either like it or you don't. I feel a certain level of validity to this whole theory as there's this site I found out about from a friend that I use as fun therapeutic crack to just relax and come up with color palates or patterns and people can like them and rate them and within seconds of creating a few palates and patterns I started getting some love. I guess I just feel like even though I don't pay attention to the world around me, the world around me just comes naturally and people like it. I dunno. I can't explain what I'm trying to say, but you get it, right?

No comments: