Tuesday, June 9, 2009

One more thing...

If you were to read an ad that says "looking for artists willing to show their work from their homes or studios," would you think that means that someone is looking to show your work? Because apparently, that's what I keep getting. Either people out here are totally dense and don't have a basic understanding of the English language or they just see a call for artists and think they can apply without reading the fine print; even if that fine print is clearly stated in bold. I have been trying with absolutely no luck for the last month or two to get some people together for an artwalk in our neighborhood and I keep getting response after response of people willing to participate and stating they're in and then when I update everyone to what's going on, I get emails stating people thought this was a group show they bring their art to. NO! It's an ART WALK. People WALK to YOUR home or studio. You do not go anywhere. You do not bring anything to me. You stay, people visit. These things are so common! Or I get emails from people outside the area wanting to participate and want to be placed on the map even though they're well out of the walkable area. Really, do you think someone is going to walk from downtown 10 miles to see your art? I don't even know anyone that would walk 10 miles for money! I just don't understand why people apply to things haphazardly wasting my time and theirs. Is this the same ethics people are using for job hunting too? If so, I feel sorry for a lot of employers. No wonder some places have such high hire/fire rates.

2 comments:

Valerie said...

I am From San Diego where I am sure all of the Artwalks are at a high traffic location where Hoards of people can see and BUY the artist's work.
Perhaps You should do as most of the people you are insulting that answered your "Craiglist" ad thought? Who wants to show where you suggest? Get real and realize why they thought that way. Duh, it is about showing and SELLING our work.

DasBoogs said...

Apparently you've never stepped foot into Venice, CA where they have a fantastic art walk of artist studios and home spaces. The purpose of that art walk is to get to know the artist more intimately other than a gallery or park space. It allows each artist the opportunity to host their own receptions and it is an amazing and awesome thing. Not to mention, it is a way of doing an event that doesn't require zoning permits or dealing with other crap and is a simple underground grassroots effort. Art walks aren't just street fairs with craft vendors. So yeah, I'm frustrated. Even more so as to why some Southern Californian thinks they should put their two cents in to what my neighborhood is like. I've been to San Diego. Have you ever been to Reno? Who wouldn't want to show in one of the city's art districts? This neighborhood is surrounded by lots of culturally rich sights as well as talented artists and galleries. It's a perfect location. Quit trying to defend people who don't read things properly and just apply for something simply because it says "call for artist".