Monday, June 22, 2009


It's been a while since I worked on painting the Oldsmobile, but I should fill you in on some of what's been going on.

First, we've had rain for like 2 weeks here. It's not like normal rain where it starts and goes on for a while. No, it's like sunny one minute, then gets a little cloudy and then you hear a rumble of thunder and all of a sudden it starts to shit hammer pour. Then it will stop for 5 minutes and rain like normal for a while and then the clouds will lurk around and you don't know if it is going to rain more or not. Or, my favorite, it's sunny and pretty outside and then you feel a drop... drop... drop drop... RAIN. In the sun. How is it possible to be sunny AND rain? That is beyond me.

Second, Charlie has been teething molars real bad. So he is fussy as heck.

Third, I babysat for a friend recently so that day was out.

Now, the good stuff! I have a lot of catching up to do and I'll add picture later I'm sure, but here goes:

My hubcaps came in last week. This has been a huge motivation to get me to do more painting. They're so pretty and Oldsmobiley!

Then, I got a really great email from someone selling a salvage 1976 Delta 88 same color and model as my car and everything on eBay for $300 and I emailed about the lights, and there's a whole blog about it, but he sold me the tail lights for $40 plus shipping so I paid for those today.

I lied about my car running great. It squeaks because of some issue with the alternator. It's not bad, it's just, I can get a new one for Jesse to put in or he can do some helicoil work and get that to be fixed and it won't squeak anymore. The squeaking is just annoying but to my knowledge isn't affecting the car's performance negatively... yet. The other thing, it needs a turn signal cam. Jesse's going to get one for me at Kragen today when he returns his starter core for the $20 refund. So really, there's only two mechanical issues that are so miniscule that need to be fixed and are simple fixes, just issues of time.

So what's next?

Yesterday we got some new emblems and a hood ornament as well as a new trunk lock cover for the Oldsmobile. What does this mean? Simple: after it gets painted and I put all the pretty cosmetic crap on, the only thing that will need work is making a seat cover for the back seat and front seat. I know it sounds terribly tacky, but I am seriously considering making fuzzy leopard seat covers. I'm torn between a snow leopard or a regular leopard. Depends on what looks best with the interior. I also am toying with painting the vinyl. Oh, and I need to get some silicon to fill the 3 cracks on the dash, which Jesse is rather impressed with because I guess it's rare to have a car as old as mine with so few cracks on a plastic dash.

So that's the good news. Now back to work. I plan to have the entire driver side painted today. Or at least primed.

The end...for now.

No comments: