Saturday, August 29, 2009

Another award winning pie...

When I won 2nd place for my pie at the Nevada State Fair last year, I was told it was a fluke. Then, when I entered again this year and won 2nd place again, I decided that it is no longer a fluke and I am officially Nevada's 2-time Pie Princess. Anyway, everyone asked for it when I let them know it happened again, so here's this year's winning recipe. Have fun baking my pie and hope anyone who makes it, send me a picture of you with my pie and let me know how you like it!


2009 Nevada State Fair Pie Princess with my ribbon and what's left of my pie with the Fair Queen and Fair Princess. 2009 Fair Royalty.





Upside Down Dutch Apple Pie

Crumble crust:
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
1 stick butter or margarine

Filler:
4 - 6 Granny Smith apples peeled and cut
1 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg

Pie Crust:
2 cups flour
1 stick margarine
8 to 10 tablespoons cold water
1 egg white


Preheat oven to 375°F

Prepare crumble crust: Combine flour and sugars. Melt butter and cut into flour mixture with a fork until fine crumbs form. Pour mixture into pie dish and press down with fork or spoon covering bottom and sides. Prepare filler: Cut and peel apples into small pieces. Mix in all ingredients. Place in pie dish on top of crumb filling. Prepare pastry crust: Mix flour and salt. Cut in melted margarine with a fork until thick crumbs form. Add water into the mixture and keep mixing until a dough is formed. Kneed, form into a ball, and flatten. Roll out to a circle big enough so that the dough barely sticks out from the pie tin when placed on top. Lay pastry crust on top and tuck the edges under, pressing down slightly into place. Decorate edges with a fork or spoon. Cut 4 small holes in the top. Brush with an egg white and cover with foil. Bake for 50 minutes. Remove foil and bake 10 more minutes.

2 comments:

Lori said...

Congrats to you, that's way cool!!! To honor my friend boogsy, I shall make her pie and it will be delicious.

DasBoogs said...

Get Sam to take a picture of you and Addie rolling out the dough. That's a certain classic if you can do it! Better yet if you can get her a little chef hat or put a little scarf on her head! I'll totally update my post with that pic if you do it!