Monday, September 21, 2009

Haven't Sunday Random'ed in a while...

Today I saw what I consider to be the funniest sight in a long time. I was at the light on Kietzke at Plumb. A car pulls up next to me and is blaring really bad pop country. It gets worse. The driver is singing along to it and is VERY into it and singing VERY loud and proud. However the song he's listening to sounds kinda one way and his vocals sound like they have a Daughtryesque gruffness to them, yet with horrible pitch and tone. You can see how this would be amusing, right? I hold back my chuckles because I am eventually going to see this driver. He passes me up after the light turns green. Inside the car is a man about the size of a wrestler. The fact this man is singing the way he is makes this situation even funnier. Oh, but wait, I'm not done! There's icing on this cake, see? He's a big guy singing totally into his bad music in his, drumroll, please... Honda Civic Hatchback!!! OH!!! This was a sight for sore eyes! It made my day!

So after I see super into-it car singalong guy, I go to Joann Fabric for their coupon commotion. I bought a bunch of fabric for my latest endeavor which is actually a 2 year idea I've decided to finally do something about after seeing so many people doing start up businesses to success. I figure, I don't have a cheezy get-rich-quick scheme. I don't have a fad idea. I have a product I know exists in a really bad form and basically I've taken a pre-existing idea and made it better, so to say, prettier? In all the 2 years I've been thinking about this idea, I've done a lot of research mostly from web searching, industry searching, market research of consumers (you know, asking the average person in my demographic what they are looking for). Stuff like that. Anyway, I've taken a few steps towards doing this and it's mostly going to be a boutique type service in the sense I'm not going to offer this product on a large scale basis. Sure, I could very easily sell the concept to someone else but I just feel if it became someone else's problem, it would lose it's personal feel and in my mind, the touch that makes it unique from the current products. Anyway, if you know me, you know the product and what I speak of. If you don't, I'm still keeping it low key till I get a few things squared away because I want to do this whole thing the right way.

In other news, I've been going on a few job interviews but not hearing back. Seems to be the usual. Someone interviews you and will either have the decency to email or call back that they went with someone else or just never even get back to you. Personally, I think it's very rude to not follow up with someone when you say you will. That type of behavior says a lot to me about the type of company you run if you don't give people the time of day and quite frankly, in a world where customer service is a top priority, I don't know that I would want to be associated with a place that doesn't treat it's employees well because chances are they do the same to their customers. And of course usually when I hear back it's the same thing, "You're overqualified for the position, we went with someone else." I was even told by one agency that I should dumb down my resume if I hope to get a job. In this economy, so many people are so desperate for work they'll take anything. It's not out of the norm to see college grads or people who had management jobs in the past working as cashiers or barristas. People who are qualified to be IT professionals, designers, business majors, and the sort. It's crazy bad. Right now is definitely an employers market and a lot of them are afraid to hire the "over skilled" for fears that they'll leave when a better job comes. It's also spiking down wages. Since so many people are so desperate to work, a lot have become less demanding in terms of pay. They'll take anything. Employers know about this desperation. Most people are living on unemployment, 401k's, savings or odd and end jobs. And so a lot of employers are taking advantage of this. Lay off the long term high salary pro's, hire a new desperate college grad, or start offering a position that would normally pay a certain amount for less than what it should be. It's fascinating hearing all the stories of people who have lost jobs the last few years. Hopefully things get better soon, but I have my doubts.

On a lighter note, my friend Chrissy and I have been going on walks every day. She wants to get in better shape and needs some support. I have the time and don't mind waking her up every day around 9:30 to walk around Virginia Lake. Although I've been feeling a little high strung and broke down and went on a jog with Lulu around the neighborhood. It was awesome and I feel totally relaxed right now.

I really need to work on my posture. I slouch too much.

I made some weird veggie juice. I call it Veggie Swill. I originally wanted to use it as a weekend detox because I've been having pooping issues. I felt like I had to flush my gut but it didn't work and I can't help but eat when Jesse comes home. So I've decided to do a modified detox. Drink 64 oz water each day, drink 2 glasses of veggie swill throughout the day, have some fruit for lunch, and then regular dinner. I sat down and was analyzing my daily food intake and realize I was getting way too much processed sugars and starches. Noodles are my worst culprits. I am a noodle fiend whether it be mac and cheese, pasta roni type things, or just general spaghetti, I eat way too much noodles. But I live off carbs right now and that needs to change. It would be ok if I was getting a lot of exercise to burn them, but I don't. Even with the walks with Chrissy, it isn't the right amount of high-impact calorie burning I need to keep up with that eating lifestyle. So yeah, I'm gonna do a modified veggie swill pseudo detox for as long as it takes for the mixture to be gone. I figure another 2 or 3 days. After that, I need to up the veggie/fruit intake and just watch my noodles. I also need to watch my butter intake. It's another villain in my dietary life. I put butter on EVERYTHING. When I say butter I mean margarine it's just easier to type butter. But yeah, that can't be good for my cholesterol levels. Honestly, last time I had a physical, all that stuff was good and fine but if I keep up the way I'm going, by the time I'm in my late 30's it won't be so great. The time to act is now. I believe everything is fine in moderation but there also need to be a few modifications. So yeah, I've swapped out my processed sugars with natural sugars. No more soda. If I do have soda it will be limited to no more than 8 oz a day, which is technically the allowable daily amount to be healthy. No more white carbs. They all get switched over to browns. Wheat noodles, wheat bread, brown rice, etc. Not the most fun but I can live with it. And of course, the hardest, I will have to stop with the boxed sides like past ronis and what not. I'll look into making my own sorts. I'm sure it won't be the end of the world.

I got a belly band holster. I've been wanting one since I saw one the first time a few weeks ago. I love it but it gave me a really gnarly ouch on my hip. Basically rubbed my skin raw. It's small so it's not the end of the world but I was super psyched when Jesse told me they got some at his work.

I've also been on this whole personal defense kick lately. I've been totally intrigued with things people can do to prevent becoming a victim. The reality of things are that you don't want your gun to be your only defense. It should be your last line of defense. It is so fascinating to learn just little things to prevent yourself from looking like a sitting duck to a criminal. I think a lot of this fascination has a lot to do with some of the fishy stuff that's been going on in our neighborhood lately, which coincides with certain activities going on in our alley. Oh, and another thing, there was a lady who used to live next door to us and she disappeared one day. I think she moved in the night or something. I used to think she was a drug dealer or buying drugs or something because she'd do that whole get into a car for a minute or two and then go back in her house. Sometimes they'd drive around the block and come back. Well she doesn't live there anymore and strangely enough, now there's activity in the alley that strikes me as drug activity. I wonder if the people in the alley picked up her old customers or what? Kinda weird. Anyway, I just keep an eye out on things.

So that's about all that's going on in the world. Nothing huge. Nothing too exciting. I just feel like I've been on one of those neglecting-to-blog kicks and I just need to get back into the swing of things.

The end.

No comments: