Monday, September 28, 2009

An idea two years in the making...

So for the past 2 years I had this idea about concealed carry purses. I know they already exist but to be honest, I really dislike the options available. They're expensive. $300 roughly. They're not exactly the best looking. Galco makes some ok purses but I would never see myself owning one of their purses let alone spending $300 for one. So my idea kinda stems a little more into local events. Brianna Dennison was abducted, raped, murdered and suddenly all these college age girls were buying guns and wanting to carry but avoided it because they didn't want to change their style of dress because you can't put a gun, no matter how tiny, under fitted clothes, without it being noticeable. Their options were limited: wear baggier clothes, which was a thumbs down to most girls, or get a stylish fanny pack, obviously a bigger thumbs down. A lot of girls wound up not buying guns for that reason. Fashion was more important than safety. But was it too much to ask to not compromise one's safety or fashion? Could the two exist harmoniously on one parallel? So for two years I thought and thought and came up with a solution. It involved sewing. It involved a special design that wasn't being used on the other purses. Previous conceal carry purses used hard leather and a velcro adjustable holster system. Two things that limited the options of the design as well as jacked up the price. I managed to figure out a way of having a gun sit vertically in a purse within reach as well as a way to make it ambidextrous. So for the past few days I've been sewing and sewing and I've only managed to make 3 purses but I can say, for the materials, labor, and everything in between, in the end you have a product that is functional, cute, and not to mention cheaper than what is currently available. Anyway, long story short, I'm still working on sewing other products including a handy caddy that can turn any purse into a conceal carry purse, a stylish winter coat, and a holster I promise will be super amazing if I can find the materials I need to make it (so far, no luck but I'm not giving up the fight!) So yeah, I'm super excited to be doing this and if it becomes great, super, if not, it's not the end of the world, it just means I have a slew of new awesome conceal carry purses to myself. The end.

No comments: