Thursday, January 28, 2010

Mudmobile Emergency!

Yesterday I decided to go out shooting. I headed to Derby Dam and for whatever unknown reason, every little pocket to shoot at was full! I had no idea why there were so many people out shooting on a Wednesday at 1:00 in the afternoon, but there were. I decided to head out to our little spot closer to town. I hopped back on the freeway and got off, making a turn to head up to the mountains. I was a little hesitant at first, thinking the roads might be too muddy for my Oldsmobile to get up, but much to my surprise, they weren't. I went to turn into the pocket to shoot and it looked different. Reason being, it was the wrong spot, so I turned around and headed back to the road and realized I was stuck. I got out and saw my tires were under about 6" of mud. I tried to put some cardboard under them for some traction and in doing so made my front tires go down even further. So I put some stuff under the front tires too. Nothing was grabbing so I tried to put some towels under the rear tires to get some traction on the cardboard. That didn't work. I tried some little pebbles for traction and even that didn't work.


I realized my car was now deeper in the mud, so I got down on my knees and dug the mud away and even tried to make a ram in front of the tires so it could ease it's way out.


Didn't work. My hands got all cut up from throwing out slippery rocks and the squishy wet-clay like mud with tiny shards of pebbles that felt like broken glass.


After about an hour of trying to get out, I finally gave up and figured even MacGuyver has a bad day. I called Jesse and he called me a tow truck. It was supposed to be there in forty five minutes but it took closer to two hours. The guy who came and got me was named Hank. I was surprised because he was a rather attractive tow truck driver, on the level of DeSoto and Gage from Emergency! and not the creepy scuzzy type I'm used to. I had to help him get the car out. He was telling me how nasty that mud is because it's so hard to get out of. I guess he got his truck stuck in it before and it took him nearly three hours to get out. Fortunately it took us plus the tow truck two minutes. In the end, I was glad Hank made it out there ok. Jenny's safety tip for going out in nature: always have good landmarks. When there's no road signs or streets, you gotta have good landmarks. That was the only way Hank found me. Also, just because a road looks like it's nice and sturdy, doesn't mean it is. It's probably a bad idea to go out driving in mud without 4-wheel drive after it rains and snows pretty heavy.

EPIC FAIL!!!

No comments: