Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Dominating Cross-Eye Dominance

I am a cross-eye dominant pistol shooter. I shoot pistols because I can. I shoot rifles, however, because I like to. I never had any formal rifle training and recently, when I did, I learned there that there is no such thing as cross-eye dominance in rifle shooting because your dominant eye determines the hand you shoot with. Well, I can't be a left handed shooter. Aside from the fact I am so right handed I absolutely refuse to learn to do anything left handed, I am more determined to try and train my right eye to become my dominant eye than to try to be a lefty. I have been walking around confusing people I know by wearing glasses with the left eye taped over in hopes this will strengthen my right eye and so far no luck.

Today we went out shooting and it was just not a good day. I have been beating myself up for the last two weeks debating the issue of whether it is my marksmanship that is off or my eye. I had been studying at home the targets of the last time I shot as well as doing dominant eye tests to see how far off I am from my targets when focusing with my left and right eyes. I derived a theory with the dominant eye thumb thest that if I am on target with my dominant eye and then switch over to my weak eye, my thumb jumps about 6" to the left. Coincidentally enough, when I was looking out of my right eye on a target and shoot at something, it would jump 6" to the right.

Despite the wind, I thought I would put a little test in action. Normally, when I shoot the .30 carbine, I would align my sights halfway up on the target and they would be on level with the X ring, just off to the right.


Today's test involved moving my sights over about 6" to the left of where my groupings were to see what would happen. When I did that, I was level with the target and closer to the X ring.


I'm pretty sure this method is a pretty much unorthodox way of handling shooting, but here's the deal: my fundamentals are all there. I'm positioned properly. My husband was there with me to make sure of this (in addition to collecting brass and dealing with misfeeds so I can stay focused on the task at hand.) I'm doing a proper trigger pull and I have what I consider to be for me a great technique combining trigger pull and breathing to fire my shots. My sights are aligned, but my sight picture is off. Very off. And this is really the only way I can get a proper sight in because of my eye! Deep in my heart, I believe I am doing everything right because I can get the shots I want, but that's only if I offset my target and compensate for my eye. I suppose one day if I ever had to deal with a situation where I need to prove my marksmenship, I'll probably keep this a secret, but for now, I find it works. And hopefully, a few more days or weeks or *cringe* years of walking around with the taped up glasses and I'll be a right eye dominant gal and everything will be good and right in the world. Till then, if you're not as determined as I am to train your eye, I suppose there's nothing wrong with learning your offset compensation distance and just running with it. It's worth a shot.

No comments: