Friday, June 18, 2010

Close Encounter of the White Trash Kind

I hopped on my bike to go to the store today so I could get some pasta sauce for dinner. When I was locking my bike up, this white trash lady was going on about some ruckus. I asked what happened and she said, "Some man came up and took my dog!" Take in mind she is standing outside of the Dollar Tree with two girls who look to be about 7 and 9 and another kid in a stroller. Why they are taking their dog to the dollar store is beyond me. I go in, grab a can of sauce and come back out.

I asked if the cops came because I saw a cop when I rolled in and she said the cop said he had other stuff to do and couldn't look for her dog. But she said she knows who did it. She then goes on to tell me the saga of her dog while I'm locking Charlie in his seat and unlocking my bike. The lady's story goes something like this, "This guy was staying with my friend a few months back and he had this bull mastiff type dog. She moved to Washington or something and he couldn't go with her because he got in trouble for molesting her 4 year old so he has to stay here. He left and the dog was there for a few months so we took it and he just drove by just now and took it back."

"Oh, so it wasn't your dog in the first place?" I ask.

"He abandoned it," she replies, completely ignoring my question and jumping straight into her defense.

The best part is the older girl, "I don't understand how anyone could take him. He's really mean and tries to bite people he doesn't know."

Again, this dog was tied up and left outside of the dollar store? What if he bit someone?

I love how this lady just starts to give me so much unsolicited information about all these other people and events when a simple, "Someone took my dog," would suffice. Ultimately, there are so many things in this equation that do not work in her favor. The dog belongs to someone else. The dog is probably still licensed to that person. She took the dog with her to the dollar store because for whatever reason she does not want the dog to be alone at her house. Now, I could be going out on a limb here but maybe she doesn't want it alone at her house because the guy knows where she lives and plans on going there to get it when she's gone? Let's not forget the fact of the matter she had the dog tied up outside on the bike rack while she went inside to do her shopping. I'm pretty sure even if the cops do find this dog and the guy who took it, they'll probably just look at her and say, "Who's the dog licensed to? OK, that's the dog's owner."

I swear I felt like I was in an episode of COPS or something it was that bad. I don't even know how to comprehend any of this other than saying, "Only in Reno..."

No comments: