Thursday, August 19, 2010

All Epic Heroes Need A Song

So in a lame attempt at putting Charlie to bed, I go on with the usual list of lullabies and eventually run out and don't want to start from the beginning. What the hell more can I sing to him about? Pugs? No, I spent about 5 minute singing about pugs. Trains? Tuna Fish? Lifeguards? Been there, done that. Finally I had one of those moments of, "Why didn't I think of this earlier!?" I drew out my list of Tall Tale epic heroes and came upon my newest hero, Snowshoe Thompson! Alas, I made up a little tall tale campfire type song to put the boy to bed about Mr. Snowshoe Thompson. It didn't work but damned if it isn't a great new ballad!

The Ballad of Snowshoe Thompson
Snowshoe Thompson, Snowshoe Thompson,
Hero of the west,
Mailman of the Sierras.
Snowshoe Thompson, Snowshoe Thompson,
Doing all the things
No one else could dream of!

Trekking through the mountains
on skis, in the snow.
Didn't need a compass,
but he knew where to go.
Guided by the stars
and the rivers and the trees,
He could get it done and
that's what everyone believed.


Snowshoe Thompson, Snowshoe Thompson,
Hero of the west,
Mailman of the Sierras.
Snowshoe Thompson, Snowshoe Thompson,
Doing all the things
No one else could dream of!

A traveler lost his way
and didn't know if he'd survive,
But the hopes of Snowshoe passing
kept his hopes alive.
Lo and behold, Snowshoe did arrive
with doctors and ether to keep the man alive!

No comments: