Saturday, July 9, 2011

Random Thickness

Jesse had a craving for Panda Express, so I googled it and found the location and we drove down there. On our way out, we saw some sort of cop action, so we went the scenic route to be lookie-loos and it wasn't anything huge. We then continued down the road toward Macon, blasting Michael Jackson's BAD, on our way to get some Panda. When we got close to the location of Panda, we started looking for it, Jesse did a turn into a parking lot and laughed and I asked him what was so funny and he said, "You'll see." As we continued through the lot to the street, he continued, "It's a Panda Express, just not Panda Express." Yes, we were suckered by a fake Panda local sit-down restaurant. I suggested we go to the Macon Road BBQ House. After all, if I've learned nothing from loving food and watching Diners, Drive-In's and Dives, it's that the best food comes from little hole in the wall places that are locally owned. We were right. Jesse said to me that he wished I had a sense of smell because the food smelled so awesome. I told him while I couldn't smell, I could sense it and my tongue was picking up on the spices in the sauce and I was salivating like a mad man.

On the drive home, there was what appeared to be a rather large storm on it's way near, over, or through town. Not sure quite what's happening with the weather quite yet at this point. I was telling Jesse the best I could explain the atmosphere was "thickness". It was so humid it felt dense out. Like you could sense the heaviness in the air. It's so strange to describe, but there is so much moisture in the air, that without there being actual rain, clouds, mist, or anything, you can sense a heaviness in the atmosphere and just feel it.

Anyway, back to BBQ, it was fantastic. Best decision ever. I do believe this will become a regular place and one of those little local places you'll take people to when they visit. You know, like, if my sis comes out, we'll go there for sure. It's pretty awesome. The sauce is nomz, not too sweet, not too spicy, has a hard to describe flavor that taste like hints of mustard and garlic, but it is awesome. So the night winds down with enjoying the patio and my fancy pants citronella candle (and a mosquito still managed to bite me!) and a glass of my Covey Run Reisling. Which, I'm not a fan of white wines, but I do love quail and I had to buy it for the bottle alone. Oh, and I saw a huge frog in the tree and thought it was a snake or a lizard because there's no way the frogs out here could go up that high in the trees, but apparently they do.

Oh and one final thought: Charlie really likes Georgia. He makes a point of saying so every day, but it's more like, "Hey, guess what? I'm going to GEORGIA!" He is 100% potty trained (yay!) and has been sleeping in his own bed all night since we moved here pretty much. Oh, and once in a while he says he wants to go to a hotel because he liked staying at the hotels when we moved. Apparently they must have made quite an impression on him.  He goes back to school full time starting this Monday because I'm going back to work full time (yay!)

Long story short, Jesse and I have agreed Georgia is good stuff for all of us. While we're not near any of our friends or family anymore, it's a good decision for our little family of us three and we're happy. Good times, good times...

No comments: