Saturday, August 6, 2011

"ZOMBIES AND CARS AND GUNS, OH MY!!!"

This weekend was the my first gun show in GA. I went alone because Jesse was at home with the dreaded Man-Cold. For those of you who aren't aware of what the Man-Cold is, it is the dreaded "illness" that brings a man to his knees and has him quivering in bed like a little baby. Even the roughest, toughest of men crumble under the Man-Cold. (Ladies, you know the Man-Cold as the common cold aka the one you get where you go to work and just rough it through the day till you can get home, make some dinner, wash dishes, do laundry, watch some bad prime-time reality show and zonk out in bed till the next day.)


Long before going to the gun show, however, I was looking at cars. My search for a car starts long and far before that. You see, before we moved, we could only take one car with us. Our choices were Jesse's truck or my Focus. The Focus, while a good around-town car, had 180,000+ miles on it, needed a new catalytic converter, new brake shoes and pads, a driver side window regulator, and a significant amount of other work that would cost us a pretty penny to fix up in town. And with Jesse's logic, I wouldn't be working right away so I didn't need a car. Anyway, I saw some nice cheapie cars I wanted to look at this weekend and when I inquired about one, I learned it was sold. I went to go look at another, though and when I got to the dealership later that night, I learned they sold that one literally like an hour before I got there. Bummer.

So the next day, I went to look at used car dealers in town. I learned that they won't finance us right now because we haven't lived here long enough, but if we were military, they would. Huh? What's the difference of financing someone who just moved to town vs. someone who just moved to town that's military? I don't get it, but whatever. I wound up driving out to Alabama to look at cars out there and was told the same story: I didn't live in town long enough. Come back in 6 months. Uggghhhh... So, no car for me for a while. Not like it's anything new. For half the people in Reno who knew me I pretty  much never had a car. All the cars I did have were total crap boxes that would die after a few months of ownership, so, yeah.

Later in the day, I stopped off at the gun show. It was a nice change of pace to get inside the nice AC'd convention center instead of being outside where I was sweating (my balls off, if I had any.) I saw this booth selling awesome zombie shirts and got a Zombie Apocalypse Response Team shirt to wear just so people know in the event of a zombie apocalypse I am qualified to take out zombies. Just sayin'... While paying I was addressed by a snarky comment to mark my price up and it was by none other than the guys at All American Firearms Training. They joked if I was doing anything the next few hours if I wanted to work with them. So my choices were go home and deal with the Man-Cold and cranky child, or hang out with gun lovers and a zombie loving girl. The decision was not a difficult one to make. So I hung out there, we chatted. I got to meet Pat's wife and son who were both also very awesome people. I bought Charlie a little toy AR and he loves it. At one point, there was a thunder storm and the power went out briefly. It was pretty cool. All in all, it was a good day, but something bizarre happened where when I got home I felt exhausted like the kind of tired I get when I have a sunburn or have been in the sun too long. Weird. Anyway, that's all I got.

No comments: