Thursday, December 22, 2011

Blood, Sweat, Tears, & Lightning

I was lacking one of my 30 minute runs this week due to the fact something on my leg has been hurting again. A few weeks back it was hurting at the start of the 7 miler, but after some ice and rest, it got better. Well, last week during the magic mile, it started to act up again, same spot. I iced it again and did the same treatment I did last time, only this time it's still hurting. It's not anything major, just a dull ache. Anyway, because of that I've been trying to rest it a bit in hopes it'll go away again.

So after I got off work today, I figured I'd go for a quick run before Charlie and Jesse got home because I know if I did it then, I wouldn't get comfortable and not go out. My leg has been feeling better and I thought I'd give it a whirl. I got out and it was unseasonably warm outside so I was in shorts and a singlet and ready to enjoy a nice little run. Not too long after I got out, it started to rain and I thought, "No biggie, this can be nice." I've ran in the rain several times and love it, especially when it's warm outside. It's like nature providing you with a cooling system. What's not to like?

So I'm running along doing my thing, feeling good and then I hear some thunder over my music. I take my earbud out for a second and listen and sure enough, it's thunder. "No biggie," I think, "It's just thunder. You can do this. Just keep on keepin' on..." and I continue to run.

I'm about 3/4 the way done when I see a streak of lighting cross above me and hear thunder crackle. I think, "OH SHIT!" and go into panic mode and speed my ass up and run a shortcut home as fast as I could. I still haven't been out here long enough to know when the lightning isn't a big deal or not, but I'm not really in the mood to figure out via trial and error either. In my hauling ass home, I got home in one piece, just completely out of breath because I must have ran a mile or so as fast as I possibly could and stressed my leg more and so it hurt again by the time I got home.

Later that night, I sat in the living room on the floor with Jesse and Charlie in the dark with ice on my leg watching the lightning show. It was a good time. And in other news, I managed to accomplish some tiny victories completing some of my Daily Mile challenges for the month. Yay. It was a good time other than aching and getting scared. All I can say is this is some craziness training for a marathon. Oh, and I have officially registered for the LA Marathon. That means I have to do it now. No excuses.

No comments: