Monday, July 29, 2013

Growing Up Is Hard To Do

I love getting older. I feel like the older I get, the more experience I gain in life and the more people take me seriously. Respect is earned and you appreciate life. Unfortunately, there is an aging tax the body faces and that is that it doesn't function the way it used to when you were younger. You can no longer stay up till 2 am and have a cup of coffee in the am and function fine for the rest of the day. Nor do you have the energy to run around and do a bunch of things from sunrise to sunset.

The worst part of aging for me is that my lungs do not work as well as they used to. Unlike the rest of my body, they do not grow stronger as I run, but rather remind me that as much as I want to push harder to go faster, they will not cooperate. My legs say "more" while my lungs beg "mercy". Its a losing combo.

I have learned to accept the fact my asthma will never allow me to be fast again as I once used to be as a teenager. Those days are long gone. I would rather be consistent and slower and alive than fast and having a heart attack. As an adult, you learn that winning isn't everything and that its perfectly OK to be slow.

No comments: