Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Unplugging

One of my favorite things in the world is to read books out loud. As a child, reading, both silent and out loud, was something that was easy and came natural to me. While I don't read as often as I do, when I do read, I like to try and read out loud.

Tonight, we had a very pre-television era night and I read parts of  A Curious Man: The Strange and Brilliant Life of Robert "Believe It Or Not" Rippley to Jesse and Charlie while the fire was going. Jesse was in the chair by the fire, Charlie was curled up between me and Jinky, growing sleepy. I spent about an hour reading about the awkward phase of Rippley's career to where the Believe It or Not series became a regular posting. I don't know how many more times they will hear from this book, but I'm sure they'll hear in a few more months from whatever random book I'll be reading then.

Long story short, while TV, internet, phones, and digital devices connect us and entertain us, before those existed, people connected just by sharing moments together, even if they're just sitting around listening to stories. Even in our digital age, I still find pleasure in unplugging.

No comments: