Monday, February 17, 2014

What A Difference A Day Makes


I woke up on Sunday morning with the luxury of sleeping in till 6:30 the day after my birthday. I missed out on the group run at Sweetwater, but that just meant I would have more time to work on the Satellite. Jesse woke up closer to 8:30 and we spent about a half hour trying to decide if we wanted Cinnamon Toast Crunch or Waffle House. The latter was the winner. We had a nice breakfast sitting around discussing random stuff like our future trip to the San Fernando Valley in Southern California in June for my cousin's wedding and followed up our breakfast with a trip to Walmart.


After we got back home, I busted out the tools and got to work sanding the fiberglass patches. I was really excited about getting to use my random orbit sander. This project has forced me to invest in a random assortment of power tools as we don't have any and a sander was one of them. After some research, I found the random orbit sanders to have the best reviews as they were least likely to leave distinguishable surface patterns. I sanded the fiberglass down, as well as the entire roof. I thought, "Why not? If I'm going to prime one spot, I might as well just do the whole thing." I even let Jesse sand for a bit. He got excited when he saw the power tools coming out.


Once the sanding was done, I took a rag with some acetone, wiped the residual fiberglass dust, and let it dry. Then, I hit the patches with some primer to see how well they sanded out. The back hole came out really clean. The front hole had a few areas that needed a little bit of Bondo filling, and the middle hole, the largest of the three, was sunken in and desperately needed a Bondo filling.


I mixed up the Bondo and applied it to the holes and let it cure for a while. When it was done, I hit the areas with the hand sander. Upon further inspection, I realized one of the areas would need to be hit with Bondo a second time as it was pretty ugly and still had some grooves that needed to be filled in.



At the end of the day, I didn't quite accomplish what I had originally hoped to do. I didn't get to prime the entire roof. I did, however, get all the holes on the roof filled in and that's really what I hoped to do. So, prior to Saturday, three holes graced the roof of the Satellite, but by the end of Sunday, the holes were completely covered up. In the end, that's really all I hoped to accomplish this weekend. On that note, I'd say it was a successful weekend.

TOP: One of the three holes on the roof on Saturday. Bottom: Holes filled and primed over for the time being.

And just for fun, here's a photo of Jinky slumping on the fender.


No comments: