Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Off The Beaten Path

This weekend is the Chesty Puller 13.1 Trail Challenge. The last time I did that race was back in 2012 a month after I did the Los Angeles Marathon. I wasn't very well trained for trails at that time, and to be honest, that was my first ever trail race. I had ran roads prior to that. Knowing what I know now, I'm pretty ready to go into that thing and run hard.

The last time I did a trail race was back in September 2012 when I did my first Ultra, The North Face Endurance Run 50K. It was 31 miles of ball-busting terrain along the Pine Mountain Trail. I was wanting to strangle anyone who mentioned Molly Hugger for about three months after! After that race, I had experienced my first running injury, but I had also done a LOT of training to prepare for it. The run, not the injury. The injury happened a week later while I was washing dishes and twisted to the side, pulling some ligament around my left knee. I spent the next four or five months with on and off again pain. I still get occasional aches, but nothing serious.

I'm pretty excited because I feel like after all my previous trail training, I'm going to be totally prepared to go into Chesty Puller to do some serious racing. For me, anyway. My goal is to have something around a 15 minute mile or better. Whether or not that happens is a whole other issue, but we'll see. It's only a half, so that's not too horrible.

Anyway, I'm feeling optimistic about the race, but hoping I can buckle down and take care of myself before then. Not over doing it throughout the week, not drinking soda and eating crap, and really hydrating. I'm still on the fence as to whether I want to take a hydration pack or just rely on the water out there. We'll see. I don't think it's going to be too hot, so that shouldn't be an issue.

No comments: